Vocational Nursing (LVN), Associate in Science (AS)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 35% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|Department Recommendations 1|
|AH 120||Medical Terminology||1|
|COMM 121||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|or COMM 121H||Interpersonal Communication, Honors|
|or COMM 122||Mediated Interpersonal Communication|
|ENG 103||Critical Thinking and Reading||3|
|Prior to first semester|
|BMS 100||The Human Body||4-8|
|or BMS 107|
& BMS 108
| Human Anatomy|
and Human Physiology
|Qualifying score on TEAS reading exam|
|Qualifying score on TEAS math exam or||0-5|
|VN 131||Foundation For Nursing Practice 2||5|
|VN 132||Principles of Nutrition and Care of Patient with Gastrointestinal Problems||3|
|VN 133||Foundation for Nursing Practice Lab||5.5|
|VN 134||Principles Of Administration Of Therapeutic Agents||2|
|VN 135||Understanding Pharmacology||2|
|VN 136||Nursing Care of Patients with Genitourinary, Integumentary and Endocrine Disorders||3.5|
|VN 137||Basic Medical-Surgical Nursing Lab||4.6|
|VN 138||Nursing Process Applied to Childbearing Family||1.5|
|VN 139||Nursing Process Applied To Care Of Children||2|
|VN 140||Maternal and Child Nursing Lab||1.9|
|VN 141||Cardiovascular and Respiratory Problems||3.5|
|VN 142||Perception And Mobility Problems||4|
|VN 144||Preparation For Vocational Nursing Practice||1.5|
|VN 145||Integrated Medical-Surgical Nursing Lab||5.75|
|VN 146||Introduction to Mental Health Nursing||1|
These courses may provide students with additional skills to assist in reading the required course materials, and the interpersonal communication skills which are critical to the nursing profession.
CNA 101 (Certified Nursing Assistant) is a prerequisite to VN 131. HE 201 (Introduction to Healthy Aging) is a prerequisite or corequisite to VN 131. VN 131 is required in the first semester of the program.
- Take and pass the licensure exam.
- Function within the scope of practice of LVN, as outlined by the Californian Board of Vocational Nurses.
- Practice within professional and legal standards, ethical principles and demonstrate sensitivity to the cultural differences of patients.
- Apply the nursing process by collaboratively assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care and teaching maintenance of health and prevention of disease.
- Apply principles of oral, written and verbal communication to convey relevant, accurate and complete information.
- Provide compassionate holistic nursing care by maintaining patients' psychological safety and acting as a patient advocate.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.