Vocational Nursing (LVN), Certificate of Achievement (C)
The Vocational Nursing program prepares applicants to practice as competent, compassionate and ethical Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs). The program provides a high quality vocational education program which is sensitive to the diverse needs of our students and our community. We facilitate educational access and academic excellence through a learner-centered nursing program, and prepare students to successfully pass the National Licensing Exam (NCLEX PN) and to practice Vocational Nursing in a variety of health-related settings: skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, Residential care facilities, memory-care units, sub-acute care units, hospice and home health agencies, school districts, jails, clinics, surgery centers and physician’s offices.
Certificate of Achievement Requirements
Students must earn a "C" or better or "P" in all courses required for the major. Candidates for a Certificate of Achievement are required to complete at least 35% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|Prior to first semester|
|BMS 100||The Human Body||4-8|
|or BMS 107|
& BMS 108
| Human Anatomy|
and Human Physiology
|Qualifying score on TEAS reading exam|
|Qualifying score on TEAS math exam or||0-5|
|VN 161||Fundamentals for Nursing Practice 1||5|
|VN 162||Care of the Older Adult||1.5|
|VN 163||Pharmacology for Nurses||3|
|VN 164||Nursing Practicum I||6|
|VN 165||Medical Surgical Nursing I||3|
|VN 166||Medical Surgical Nursing II||3.5|
|VN 167||Nursing Care of Children||2|
|VN 168||Mental Health Nursing||1|
|VN 169||Nursing Practicum II||6|
|VN 170||Medical Surgical Nursing III||3.5|
|VN 171||Medical Surgical Nursing IV||3.5|
|VN 172||Maternal Newborn Nursing||1.5|
|VN 173||Preparation for Professional Vocational Nursing Practice||1.5|
|VN 174||Nursing Practicum III||6|
CNA 101 (Certified Nursing Assistant) is a prerequisite to VN 161.
- Function within the scope of practice of the LVN, as outlined by the California Board of Vocational Nurses and Psychiatric Technicians.
- Apply the nursing process to practice by collaboratively assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care.
- Practice within professional and legal standards, ethical principles and demonstrate sensitivity to the cultural differences of patients.
- Apply principles of oral, written and verbal communication to convey relevant, accurate and complete information.
- Demonstrate the art and science of professional caring incorporating professional values and client advocacy.
- Be prepared to take the NCLEX-PN licensing examination
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.