Media Arts, Associate in Arts (AA)
Multimedia is a field of study and an industry emerging from the synthesis of cross-disciplinary media and their production processes. The advent and expanssion of digital technologies of communication through the web, the need for media authoring and its distribution to different devices, has created this confluence of what is often referred to as new media, digital media or multimedia.
The Multimedia Arts curriculum develops students’ aesthetic and technical competence by providing training in state-of-the-art software, production processes, theory and concepts. The program prepares students for employment in applied media industries or for transfer to media programs at 4-year institutions. Our courses give students a core background in art, design, and technical skills in media development, production and distribution.
Currently, the program focuses on web design and development considering also smart phones and tablets as screening devices.
Students may seek a Certificate or an Associate in Arts Degree in the discipline.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- OPTION 1: A minimum of 18 units of SBCC General Education Requirements (Areas A-D) and Institutional Requirements (Area E) and Information Competency Requirement (Area F) OR
- OPTION 2: IGETC Pattern OR
- OPTION 3: CSU GE Breadth Pattern
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|GDP 110||Media Design||3|
|or MAT 112||Digital Drawing|
|MAT 103||Introduction to Multimedia||3|
|MAT 116||Interactive Design I||3|
|or MAT 121||Computer Interface Design|
|or MAT 136||Introduction to 3D Animation|
|MAT 131||Digital Imaging I||3|
|MAT 153||Web Design I||3|
|MAT 154||Web Design II: Integration||3|
|or MAT 205||Portfolio Development And Professional Practices|
|or MAT 216||Interactive Design II - Simple Games|
- Students will be able to input, create, edit, enhance and composite, a variety of visual media (vector-based and bitmaps, 2D and 3D) then optimize and format for output to web, screen or mobile media.
- Students will be able to develop sophisticated imagery that conveys a message.
- Students will be able to plan, design and construct a website that effectively communicates business and user goals.
- Students will be able to plan, design and construct an interactive, user-oriented interface.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.