American Sign Language, Associate in Arts (AA)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A total of 15 units through SBCC.
|ASL 101||Beginning American Sign Language I||5|
|ASL 102||Beginning American Sign Language II||5|
|ASL 103||Intermediate American Sign Language I||5|
|ASL 104||Intermediate American Sign Language II||5|
|ASL 125||American Deaf Culture and History||4|
|ASL 130||Intermediate ASL Conversation I||2|
|Select one course from the following:||2|
|Introduction to American Sign Language/English Interpretation|
|Fingerspelling and Numbers I|
|Fingerspelling and Numbers II|
|Intermediate ASL Conversation II|
- Demonstrate competency in ASL expressive and receptive skills.
- Demonstrate competency in visual gestural communication and finger-spelling.
- Recognize what is required to support ASL as the visual language of the Deaf community.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the culture and cultural practices of the Deaf community.
- Display appropriate sociolinguistic behaviors as proficient users of American Sign Language.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.