Interior Design, Associate of Arts (AA)
Interior Design focuses on the creation of interior environments that are both functional and pleasing. The field offers a variety of employment opportunities in interior design and architectural firms, kitchen and bath design studios, as well as in interior materials and furniture stores. A combination of education, work experience and passing the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam is required for interior design professionals.
The SBCC Interior Design Program, offered within the Drafting/CAD Department, provides a comprehensive training for entry-level interior design positions. Certificated, professionally experienced instructors teach all program courses. Successful completion of each Interior Design (ID) course earns full college credit. Courses are offered with an open enrollment policy; they are open to both ID majors and non-majors.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|ART 140||Studio Art Foundations (2-D)||3|
|ART 141||Studio Art Foundations 3D||3|
|DRFT 120||Architectural Drafting I||3|
|DRFT 124||Architectural Rendering I||3|
|DRFT 129||Principles Of Residential Construction||3|
|DRFT 130||Computer-Assisted Drafting And Design I||5|
|ID 100||Introduction to Interior Design||1|
|ID 100L||Introduction to Interior Design Lab||1|
|ID 101||Space Planning And Lighting||3|
|ID 103||Historical Furniture||3|
|ID 104||Materials And Installations||3|
|ID 105||Kitchen And Bathroom Design||3|
|Complete at least three units of Controlled Art History Electives from the following:||3|
|History of Art, Renaissance to Modern|
or ART 104H
|History Of Art, Renaissance To Modern, Honors|
|History of Asian Art|
|Survey Of Non-Western Art|
|Complete 3 units from the following:||3-5|
|Fundamentals Of Drawing|
|Introduction To Business|
|Architectural Drafting II|
|Architectural Rendering II|
|Computer-Assisted Drafting And Design II|
|CAD Drafting/Design III|
|Work Experience In Interior Design|
|Digital Imaging I|
- Analyze an interior space and suggest changes for a specific user, ambiance or purpose.
- Describe the composition and components of a successful Interior Design business.
- Utilize the design process to design and draw floor plans and interior elevations of a room, a kitchen, a bathroom, a residence and a commercial building, being cognoscente of design guidelines and building codes.
- Identify the style and parts of furniture from different countries and time periods.
- Specify appropriate materials and installation methods for use in residential and commercial projects.
- Utilize current requirements to design and draft an electrical plan for a small residence.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.