Medical Coding Specialist, Certificate of Achievement (C)
Certificate of Achievement Requirements
Complete all Department Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement with a C or better in each course. Candidates for a Certificate of Achievement are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|Recommended sequence of courses:|
|COMP 101||Introduction to Computer Applications||4|
|HIT 135||Basic Medical Terminology||3|
|BMS 146||Human Form and Function||3|
|HIT 101||Introduction To Health Information Management||3|
|HIT 102||Legal Aspects Of Health Care||3|
|HIT 204||Basic Pathophysiology||3|
|HIT 201||Pharmacology For Allied Health||2|
|HIT 202||International Classification of Diseases, Diagnostic Coding||2|
|HIT 203||International Classification of Diseases, Procedural Coding||3|
|HIT 210||CPT Procedural Coding||3|
|HIT 255||Medical Insurance and Reimbursement Methodologies 1||4|
|HIT 205||Advanced Coding Applications||4|
|HIT 280||Medical Coding Practicum 2||1|
HIT 150 plus HIT 250 will also satisfy this requirement.
With the exception of HIT 205, all HIT classes must be completed prior to enrolling in HIT 280 Medical Coding Practicum. A background check, health check, drug screen, and/or other requirements may be mandated by the host facility. All requirements are at the student’s expense.
- Apply biomedical knowledge to the process of clinical code assignment .
- Analyze and communicate clinical and statistical data to improve patient care and facilitate financial planning.
- Apply and demonstrate legal, ethical, accreditation and certification standards to health information.
- Participate in planning and implementing clinical and administrative information systems in traditional and alternative health care settings.
- Apply departmental and organizational standards to data storage, retrieval, retention and security.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively as an individual and collaboratively in a group to resolve health information management challenges in a changing health care environment.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.