Sustainable Horticulture, Skills Competency Award (SCA)
Skills Competency Award Requirements
Complete all department requirements with a “C” or higher or "P" in each course. Candidates for a Skills Competency Award are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|EH 101||Plant Identification And Culture||3|
|EH 103||Irrigation And Garden Waterworks||3|
|EH 104||Landscape Maintenance||3|
|EH 110||Introduction To Horticulture||3|
|Work Experience In Environmental Horticulture|
- Identify common ornamental plants and appropriate placement within the landscape for sustainability.
- Correctly prune, water, feed and maintain plants in their landscape environment.
- Properly use and maintain manual and power gardening tools, machinery and equipment.
- Read an irrigation plan.
- Repair, maintain, retrofit and troubleshoot common irrigation systems.
- Conduct a simple landscape water audit, test sprinkler stations and calculate precipitation rates.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the regulations and laws regarding irrigation.
- Cope with ordinary pest, disease and weed problems to promote a safe, sustainable garden ecology.