Geological Sciences, Associate in Science (AS)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A total of 15 units through SBCC.
|ERTH 111||Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology||3-4|
|or ERTH 111H||Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology, Honors|
|ERTH 111L||Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology Laboratory||1|
|ERTH 112||History Of The Earth||3|
|ERTH 112L||Historical Geology Laboratory||1|
|ERTH 125||Mineralogy and Resources||5|
|ERTH 126||Petrology And Rock-Forming Minerals||5|
|CHEM 155||General Chemistry I||5|
|CHEM 156||General Chemistry II||5|
|MATH 150||Calculus with Analytic Geometry I||5|
|Select 4 units from the following:||4-4.5|
|Geologic Field Studies - Eastern Sierra Nevada|
|Geologic Field Studies - Death Valley|
|Introductory Geologic Field Seminar - Colorado Plateau|
|Geologic Field Studies - Western Sierra Nevada|
|Introductory Field Geology|
|Geology Field Camp|
|Field Study - Mineralogy and Mineral Resources of the Eastern Sierra Nevada|
|Field Study - Energy Resources of the Eastern Sierra Nevada|
|Field Study - Petrology of the Death Valley Region|
|Field Study - Mineral Resources and Plate Tectonic History of the Death Valley Region|
|Advanced Geologic Field Seminar - Colorado Plateau|
Recommended for Transfer
These additional courses should be considered when planning a program of study for transfer as a geology major:
|MATH 160||Calculus With Analytic Geometry II||5|
|PHYS 102||Introductory Physics For Science Majors||4|
- Evaluate earth processes and/or earth history, using earth materials and geologic principles.
- Classify and interpret rocks, minerals and fossils.
- Recognize and assess geologic processes in the field.
- Read and interpret geologic data.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.