Hospitality, Certificate of Achievement (C)
Comprised of intensive eight-week courses, part-time students who enroll in two courses per semester will be able to complete the certificate in two years. Those who enroll full-time will be able to complete both the certificate and the degree in two years.
Fully accredited by the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AH and LA), students will receive AH and LA course certificates for each course they successfully complete. Students who earn this SBCC certificate will also qualify for the Hospitality Operations Certificate from the AH and LA.
Certificate of Achievement Requirements
Complete all Department Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better. Candidates for a Certificate of Achievement are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|ACCT 110||Introduction to Accounting||4|
|BUS 101||Introduction To Business||2-3|
|or FIN 101||Introduction To Finance And Banking|
|or IBUS 102||Introduction to International Business|
|or CA 111||Hospitality Controls|
|CA 113||Hospitality Sanitation And Safety||2|
|CA 117A||Hotline Kitchen Fundamentals||2-4|
|or CA 124||Principles of Baking|
|COMP 101||Introduction to Computer Applications||4|
|or CIS 101||Introduction to Computers and Information Systems|
|HM 290||Hotel Work Experience||3-4|
|Select 4 courses from the following:||12|
|Front Office Operations|
|Food And Beverage Operations|
|Supervision In The Hospitality Industry|
|Hospitality Sales and Marketing|
|Security And Loss Management|
|Training And Development Skills For Hospitality Professionals|
- Be proficient at an entry level supervision position and have broad knowledge and experience in all subject areas the program.
- Know and enforce laws specific to the hospitality industry.
- Demonstrate mastery of front office operations both with customer service, technology and reporting expectations.
- Organize and be able to manage or work in a housekeeping department, demonstrate effective and efficient ways of cleaning, create productivity reports and staff schedules.
- Demonstrate knowledge of food and beverage operations by creating operational plans, inventory, storage, food safety, staffing, cuisine, alcohol laws.
- Create a sales and marketing plan and be able to train staff on customer service.
- Prepare an emergency plan and train staff in its implementation. Demonstrate the ability to minimize loss.
- Create and implement training programs.
- Demonstrate proficiency in language, technical and computational skills.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.