Cosmetology, Associate in Science (AS)
Step 1: Obtain a Cosmetology Academy Information & Application packet at www.sbcc.edu/cosmetology or from the SBCC Cosmetology Academy (525 Anacapa Street Santa Barbara), or the Counseling Center (SS-120) on the SBCC campus. New classes begin throughout the academic year; starting dates are listed in the packet.
Step 2: Apply for Admission to SBCC in the Admissions Office, Student Services Building. (This is applying to SBCC-not registering for classes; no money is necessary). Obtain an assessment test date when you submit your application to the college.
Step 3: Take SBCC assessment tests as soon as possible.
Step 4: Mail or deliver to the Academy a completed Cosmetology Application Form.
Step 5: After notification of eligibility, attend the Cosmetology Academy Orientation Meeting. Placement will be based on space availability and application delivery or postmark date.
Step 6: Students are advised to meet with an academic counselor to discuss General Education requirements.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- A minimum of 18 units of SBCC General Education Requirements (Areas A-D) and Institutional Requirements (Area E) and Information Competency Requirement (Area F)
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A total of 15 units through SBCC.
|CSMT 121||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 1||12|
|CSMT 122||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 2||12|
|CSMT 123||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 3||12|
|CSMT 124||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 4||12|
|CSMT 125||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 5||12|
- Apply principles of shampooing, hair shaping and hair styling
- Apply permanent waves, chemical relaxing and soft curls
- Analyze scalp and hair
- Apply all phases of hair coloring and lightening
- Create styles, using basic and advanced techniques
- Administer facials, hair removal techniques and makeup services to provide care for the skin
- Provide basic nail care and artificial nail techniques
- Utilize safety and sanitary procedures for all clients
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.