Cosmetology, Associate in Science (AS)
An AS Degree in Cosmetology can be obtained by satisfying the Certificate of Achievement in Cosmetology requirements and the General Education and institutional requirements for the Associate in Science Degree. See “Graduation Requirements” in the Catalog Index.
|CSMT 121||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 1||12|
|CSMT 122||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 2||12|
|CSMT 123||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 3||12|
|CSMT 124||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 4||12|
|CSMT 125||Introduction to Cosmetology-Module 5||12|
Students must complete all department requirements for the certificate with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better.
The Associate Degree will be awarded upon completion of both department and college requirements. These include:
- Complete all department requirements with a “C” or better or “P” in each course. Candidates for an Associate Degree are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
- Complete a general education option (Option 1: SBCC General Education and Institutional and Information Competency; Option 2: IGETC; Option 3: CSU GE Breadth). General Education options allowed for each Associate Degree program vary. Refer to http://www.sbcc.edu/apply/degrees_certificates.php for a list of General Education options for each SBCC Associate Degree program;
- Other graduation requirements as outlined on the Graduation Requirements page.
- Apply principles of shampooing, hair shaping and hair styling
- Apply permanent waves, chemical relaxing and soft curls
- Analyze scalp and hair
- Apply all phases of hair coloring and lightening
- Create styles, using basic and advanced techniques
- Administer facials, hair removal techniques and makeup services to provide care for the skin
- Provide basic nail care and artificial nail techniques
- Utilize safety and sanitary procedures for all clients