Dance, Associate in Arts (AA)
Dance is a vigorous and specialized area in the performing arts, and is unique in its ability to convey emotional and cultural values. Dance is physically demanding and requires a thorough understanding of aesthetic values.
This program is primarily designed for the student who intends to transfer to University of California at Santa Barbara, or to other universities that offer baccalaureate preparation in Dance. Additionally, the program provides an excellent foundation in dance for students interested in other performing arts fields or entry level into the workforce, such as study owner/employee.
The Dance program prepares the serious dance student for university transfer and provides dance training and enrichment for both the beginning and the advance dancer. The program offers a comprehensive curriculum with a broad range of dance courses to nurture versatile dance artists. The Dance Department under Physical Education encourages students to think independently, to value creative thought and diversity, and to be responsible global citizens. The goal of the Dance program is to prepare students for future careers in performance, choreography, teaching, and related careers in dance. The program offers a wide array of dance classes designed to cultivate technique, creativity, and performance skills while enhancing self-confidence, creative thought/expression, and critical thinking.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- OPTION 1: A minimum of 18 units of SBCC General Education Requirements (Areas A-D) and Institutional Requirements (Area E) and Information Competency Requirement (Area F) OR
- OPTION 2: IGETC Pattern OR
- OPTION 3: CSU GE Breadth Pattern
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|BMS 107||Human Anatomy||4|
|HE 104||Introduction to Athletic Injuries||3|
|or PE 200||Introduction to Kinesiology|
|PE 150B||Intermediate Ballet||1.5|
|PE 150C||Advanced Ballet||1.5|
|PE 151B||Intermediate Jazz Dance||1.5|
|PE 151C||Advanced Jazz Dance||1.5|
|PE 152B||Intermediate Modern Dance Technique||1.5|
|PE 152C||Advanced Modern Dance Technique||1.5|
|PE 153||Dance Concert||2.5|
|PE 154A||Dance Ensemble||3|
|PE 154B||Dance Ensemble Advance||3|
|PE 250||Survey and Appreciation of Dance History||3|
|TA 111||Beginning Acting||3|
|or TA 123||Stage Lighting|
|or TA 131||Costume Technology|
|or MUS 110||Music Appreciation|