Music, Associate in Arts (AA)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|MUS 102A||Basic Musicianship||3|
|MUS 102B||Basic Musicianship||2.5|
|MUS 104A||Beginning Theory||3|
|MUS 104B||Beginning Theory||3|
|MUS 114A||Survey Of Music History||3|
|MUS 114B||Survey Of Music History||3|
|MUS 140A||Beginning Piano||1|
|MUS 140B||Beginning Piano||1|
|MUS 142A||Intermediate Piano||1|
|MUS 142B||Intermediate Piano||1|
|MUS 150||Beginning String Techniques||1|
|MUS 152||Beginning Wind And Percussion Techniques||1|
|MUS 154||Vocal Techniques I||1|
|MUS 202A||Intermediate Musicianship||2.5|
|MUS 202B||Intermediate Musicianship||3|
|MUS 204A||Intermediate Theory||3|
|MUS 204B||Intermediate Theory||3|
|Select 4 units of Performance Controlled Electives from the following:||4|
|Bebop Vocal Jazz Ensemble|
|Swing Vocal Jazz Ensemble|
|Quire Of Voyces|
|Vocal Jazz Ensemble|
|Beginning Jazz Improvisation|
|Intermediate-Advanced Jazz Improvisation|
|Beginning Jazz Ensemble|
|Intermediate Jazz Ensemble|
|Advanced Jazz Ensemble|
|Chamber Music of the Baroque Era|
|Chamber Music of the Modern Era|
|Commercial Music Performance: Jazz And Pop Emphasis|
|Commercial Music Performance: Classical Instrumental And Vocal Emphasis|
- Demonstrate the ability to describe significant genres of music, using appropriate music staff notation and vocabulary.
- Aurally identify characteristic elements of music.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and critically evaluate a musical performance.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of and skill level in the use of music technology.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in music notation and written assignments.
- Identify significant social, cultural, aesthetic and historical trends in music and assess the implications and consequences of these trends.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform through participation in Music Department vocal and/or instrumental group.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.