Music, Associate of Arts (AA)
The Music Department offers a comprehensive program designed to provide a wide variety of musical experience for both the general college student, and the student seeking a career as a professional musician.
It provides the music major with a thorough basis in the creative (theory, composition, interpretation) and recreative (performance, applied music, history, and appreciation) process.
For those interested in the commercial music field, the department offers a certificate program with courses in jazz, sound recording and electronic music, song writing and arranging.
The facilities at SBCC feature the finest in performance and rehearsal areas, no-cost use of musical instruments, individual practice rooms, and an array of special resources and equipment designed to aid students in their musical studies and achievements.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|MUS 102A||Basic Musicianship||3|
|MUS 102B||Basic Musicianship||2.5|
|MUS 104A||Beginning Theory||3|
|MUS 104B||Beginning Theory||3|
|MUS 114A||Survey of Music History||3|
|MUS 114B||Survey of Music History||3|
|MUS 140A||Beginning Piano||1|
|MUS 140B||Beginning Piano||1|
|MUS 142A||Intermediate Piano||1|
|MUS 142B||Intermediate Piano||1|
|MUS 150||Beginning String Techniques||1|
|MUS 152||Beginning Wind And Percussion Techniques||1|
|MUS 154||Vocal Techniques I||1|
|MUS 202A||Intermediate Musicianship||2.5|
|MUS 202B||Intermediate Musicianship||3|
|MUS 204A||Intermediate Theory||3|
|MUS 204B||Intermediate Theory||3|
|Complete 4 units of Performance Controlled Electives from the following:||4|
|Bebop Vocal Jazz Ensemble|
|Swing Vocal Jazz Ensemble|
|Quire Of Voyces|
|Vocal Jazz Ensemble|
|Beginning Jazz Improvisation|
|Intermediate-Advanced Jazz Improvisation|
|Beginning Jazz Ensemble|
|Intermediate Jazz Ensemble|
|Advanced Jazz Ensemble|
|Chamber Music of the Baroque Era|
|Chamber Music of the Modern Era|
|Commercial Music Performance: Jazz And Pop Emphasis|
|Commercial Music Performance: Classical Instrumental And Vocal Emphasis|
- Demonstrate the ability to describe significant genres of music, using appropriate music staff notation and vocabulary.
- Aurally identify characteristic elements of music.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and critically evaluate a musical performance.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of and skill level in the use of music technology.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in music notation and written assignments.
- Identify significant social, cultural, aesthetic and historical trends in music and assess the implications and consequences of these trends.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform through participation in Music Department vocal and/or instrumental group.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.