Marine Diving Technician, Associate of Science (AS)
A.S. Degree Marine Diving Technician program trains professional commercial divers and technicians. The program is open to part-time and full-time students for both diving and non-diving related coursework. The training curriculum includes instruction in all phases of commercial diving, hyperbaric medicine, marine science, boating, bell/saturation diving emergency medicine, and remote operated vehicles (ROV’s) to name but a few. Teamwork and Safety are the prime emphases of marine technician training. Students completing the full Associate in Science program are also eligible for industry certifications which are required for employment. The A.S. degree increases the diversity of career paths and employability of graduates within the marine industry. A.S. degree students train in marine technology and supplement their skills with specialized technology classes and general education requirements.
Admission Requirements: The program is open to all interested students to both diving and non-diving classes.
- Non-diving students submit SBCC Application to Admissions Office
- Students enrolling in diving classes, provide proof of diving certification and submit the Department Application for Diving.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|BIOL 124||Biological Oceanography||3-4|
|or BIOL 142||Marine Science|
|or ERTH 151||Introductory Physical Oceanography|
|BIOL 125||Marine Biology||4|
|DRFT 101||Basic Drafting||3-5|
|or DRFT 130||Computer-Assisted Drafting And Design I|
|or ENGR 105||Engineering Graphics|
|EMT 110||Emergency Medical Technician-Basic||6|
|MDT 101||Information and Introduction to Marine Diving Technology||0.3|
|MDT 104||Fundamentals and Practices of Diving||2|
|MDT 105||Advanced Scuba Techniques||1.7|
|MDT 106||Open Water Navigation And Rescue||0.7|
|MDT 107||Hyperbaric Chamber Operations||1.5|
|MDT 109||Seamanship and Small Boat Handling||1.5|
|MDT 111||First Aid For The Diving Professional||1.4|
|MDT 112||Introduction To Marine Welding||1.1|
|MDT 140||Principles Of Surface-Supplied Diving||1|
|MDT 141||Commercial Diving Equipment||1.5|
|MDT 142||Surface-Supplied Ocean Diving||1.8|
|MDT 143||Mixed Gas Diving||1.1|
|MDT 145||Principles Of Underwater Cutting And Welding||1|
|MDT 146||Advanced Underwater Cutting And Welding||1.5|
|MDT 147||Ocean Structures||0.5|
|MDT 148||Hydraulics I||0.7|
|MDT 152||Underwater Tools And Inspection||1.7|
|MDT 154||Bell And Saturation Diving Procedures||1.7|
|MDT 179||Nitrox Diving||0.8|
|MDT 190||Assessment And Development Of Diving Competence||1|
and Conceptual Physics Laboratory
|CS 101||Computer Concepts||4|
|PE 134A||Swimming For Conditioning: Beginning||1.5|
- Meet the qualifications of an entry-level commercial diver established by the United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the United States Coast Guard, the American National Standards Institute and the Association of Diving Contractors
- Comprehend physical laws governing hyperbaric and industrial operations in a marine environment
- Conduct hyperbaric and industrial-related activities safely and in accordance with recognized agency and industry standards
- Apply knowledge of diving techniques and associated capabilities to determine proper operational procedures for diverse marine-related construction, inspection, maintenance, repair and decommissioning projects
- Perform the assigned duties of an entry-level diver as an individual or member of a support team in a safe, effective and efficient manner
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.