Commercial Diving, Skills Competency Award (SCA)
Skills Competency Award Requirements
Complete all department requirements with a “C” or higher or "P" in each course. Candidates for a Skills Competency Award are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|MDT 107||Hyperbaric Chamber Operations||1.5|
|MDT 109||Seamanship and Small Boat Handling||1.5|
|MDT 111||First Aid For The Diving Professional||1.3|
|MDT 112||Introduction To Marine Welding||1.1|
|MDT 140||Principles Of Surface-Supplied Diving||1|
|MDT 141||Commercial Diving Equipment||1.5|
|MDT 142||Surface-Supplied Ocean Diving||1.8|
|MDT 143||Mixed Gas Diving||1.1|
|MDT 145||Principles Of Underwater Cutting And Welding||1|
|MDT 146||Advanced Underwater Cutting And Welding||1.5|
|MDT 152||Underwater Tools And Inspection||1.7|
- Demonstrate proper tending techniques used in commercial diving.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the safe operation of a hyperbaric chamber.
- Recognize signs/symptoms and select appropriate treatment schedules for diving related accidents.
- Rig proper loads and calculate safety factors for lifting applications.
- Successfully tie knots and perform splicing commonly used in marlinespike seamanship.
- Demonstrate proficiency in safe small boat handling during various at sea conditions.
- Perform First Aid and CPR to American Red Cross standards in single and two rescuer mode.
- Safely perform cutting and welding in both topside and underwater environments.
- Safely use and operate light-weight and heavy gear diving equipment.
- Perform routine operation and maintenance of diesel engines and diving compressors.
- Safely operate and maintain all related surface supplied diving apparatus, support equipment and life support equipment.
- Perform as a Diving Supervisor in a diving operation demonstrating safe, effective leadership skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing safety/planning techniques using industry standards.