Photojournalism, Skills Competency Award (SCA)
The Photojournalism Skills Competency Award offers a fast-track introduction to the American news media and expanding opportunities in digital publication and social media. Students immediately become media practitioners as they produce journalistic projects for The Channels, SBCC’s award-winning student news publication.
This award is offered in concert with the SBCC photography-graphic design and the film and television production departments. This collaboration offers students the chance to work with their counterparts in other media production areas for a more well-rounded education in visual journalism.
Skills Competency Award Requirements
Complete all department requirements with a “C” or higher or "P" in each course. Candidates for a Skills Competency Award are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|JOUR 123A||The Channels: Photojournalism||4|
|PHOT 109||Introduction to Photography||3|
|Complete one course from the following:||3|
|Non-Linear Editing I|
|Television Field Production|
|Digital Imaging I|
- Identify elements of varied photojournalistic genres.
- Produce photographic images and prepare for publication.
- Collect caption or "cutline" information and compile it for publication using Associated Press style.
- Produce photo galleries with and without audio for publication.
- Produce basic video packages, working with a reporter-and-editor team.