Journalism, Associate in Arts (AA)
|COMM 171||Mass Media And Society||3|
|JOUR 101||Reporting/Writing I||3|
|JOUR 121||The Channels: Reporting/Writing||3|
|Select 9-10 units from the following:||9-10|
|The Channels: Newswriting and Editing|
|The Channels: Photojournalism|
|The Channels: Publication Design|
|Photojournalism (Fall only)|
|Creative Writing: Non-fiction (Spring only)|
The Associate Degree will be awarded upon completion of both department and college requirements. These include:
- Complete all department requirements with a “C” or better or “P” in each course. Candidates for an Associate Degree are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
- Complete a general education option (Option 1: SBCC General Education and Institutional and Information Competency; Option 2: IGETC; Option 3: CSU GE Breadth). General Education options allowed for each Associate Degree program vary. Refer to http://www.sbcc.edu/apply/degrees_certificates.php for a list of General Education options for each SBCC Associate Degree program;
- Other graduation requirements as outlined on the Graduation Requirements page.
- Use news judgment to select, produce and publish journalistic content.
- Practice standard reporting and news gathering techniques.
- Identify the best medium by which to convey journalistic content.
- Develop journalistic content in multiple media forms.
- Identify and practice the role and principles of a free press in a participatory democracy: commitment to accuracy, sound ethics, fairness and context.