Journalism, Associate of Arts (AA)
Journalism study at Santa Barbara City College provides the theory, practical skills and experiences that inform students' personal lives, intellectual pursuits and professional endeavors in the mass media.
The Associate of Arts Degree, in particular, provides students with the foundational knowledge to successfully transition into a baccalaureate degree in journalism or into any liberal arts major.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|COMM 171||Mass Media and Society||3|
|JOUR 101||Reporting/Writing I||3|
|JOUR 121||The Channels: Reporting/Writing||3|
|Complete 9-10 units of Controlled Electives from the following:||9-10|
|The Channels: Newswriting and Editing|
or JOUR 123A
|The Channels: Photojournalism|
or JOUR 123B
|The Channels: Publication Design|
|Photojournalism (Fall only)|
|Creative Writing: Non-fiction|
- Use news judgment to select, produce and publish journalistic content.
- Practice standard reporting and news gathering techniques.
- Identify the best medium by which to convey journalistic content.
- Develop journalistic content in multiple media forms.
- Identify and practice the role and principles of a free press in a participatory democracy: commitment to accuracy, sound ethics, fairness and context.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.