Journalism, Associate in Arts (AA)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A total of 15 units through SBCC.
|COMM 171||Mass Media And Society||3|
|JOUR 101||Reporting/Writing I||3|
|JOUR 121||The Channels: Reporting/Writing||3|
|Select 9-10 units of Controlled Electives from the following:||9-10|
|The Channels: Newswriting and Editing|
or JOUR 123A
|The Channels: Photojournalism|
or JOUR 123B
|The Channels: Publication Design|
|Photojournalism (Fall only)|
|Creative Writing: Non-fiction|
- Use news judgment to select, produce and publish journalistic content.
- Practice standard reporting and news gathering techniques.
- Identify the best medium by which to convey journalistic content.
- Develop journalistic content in multiple media forms.
- Identify and practice the role and principles of a free press in a participatory democracy: commitment to accuracy, sound ethics, fairness and context.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.