Film Production, Associate of Arts (AA)
The Film Production major, leading to an AA degree, integrates theoretical and practical instruction in the field of motion picture production. The objective of the program is to enable students to develop expertise in the understanding and use of the moving image for artistic, social and professional applications. Students in the production track are expected to demonstrate technical proficiency and a creative voice in film, video and/or digital media as an integral part of the requirements for the major. The goal of the program is to encourage creative production of motion pictures and to provide students with essential and up-to-date technical knowledge and practical skills that enable them to establish careers as professionals in the fields of film, video, television and digital media.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|FP 114||Non-Linear Editing I||3|
|FP 170||Cinematography I||3|
|FP 175||Film and Video Production I||3|
|FP 181||Production Sound for Film and Television||3|
|FP 185||Directing For The Camera||3|
|FP 275||Production II: Narrative Filmmaking||3|
|FS 101||Introduction to Film Studies||3-4|
|or FS 101H||Introduction to Film Studies, Honors|
|FS/ENG 173||Screenwriting I||3|
|or FP 102||Writing for Television|
|Complete three courses from the following:||9|
|Television Studio Production|
|Television Field Production|
|Color Correction for Film|
|Non-Linear Editing II|
|Production II: Commercial Applications|
|Motion Graphics and Compositing|
|Directing For The Camera II|
|Acting for the Camera|
- Conceive and script a short film.
- Plan and budget a short film.
- Shoot, light and record sound for a short crew production.
- Edit and output a finished short film.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.