Diversity Issues in ECE, Certificate of Achievement (C)
Exceptional career opportunities for teachers and associate teachers in bilingual/bicultural early childhood settings are increasing with the state’s growing diversity. This certificate can be earned concurrently with the Early Childhood Education certificate. See Department Chair for details.
Certificate of Achievement Requirements
Complete all Department Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement with a C or better in each course. Candidates for a Certificate of Achievement are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|ECE 102||Child, Family and Community||3|
|ECE 103||Foundations of ECE I Principles||5|
|ECE 104||Foundations of ECE II Practicum||5|
|ECE 108||Creative Learning and Curriculum||3|
|ECE 109||Family-Teacher-Child Relationships||3|
|ECE 120||Child Growth and Development/Educators||3|
|or PSY 140||Child Development|
|ECE 121||Health, Safety And Nutrition For Young Children||3|
|ECE 128||Observation and Assessment||3|
|ECE 131||The Developing Bilingual Child||3|
|ECE 132||Teaching in a Diverse Society||3|
Note: Forty-five half-days of student teaching in an ECE Department-approved site must be completed for the Certification of Achievement.
- Work effectively with families.
- Demonstrate effective parent/child support. Identify the social and cultural factors influencing each child's development.
- Work effectively with children to help them to resolve adjustment difficulties and mature successfully.
- Identify health and safety issues, guidelines and procedures for insuring infection control, common disease identification, proper nutrition guidelines and immunization information.
- Demonstrate effective caregiving to infants and toddlers. Identify diversity issues common in the ECE field.
- Demonstrate knowledge of stages of multi-language development in young children and enhancement strategies for the classroom.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.