Computer Applications and Office Management, Associate of Science (AS): Emphasis in Business Software Specialist
The Computer Applications and Office Management Department (COMP) is in business–the technology education business. We live in a culture governed by the demands of digital life. This digital life blurs and transforms old boundaries between work and home, public and private. It requires ever-increasing levels of technology literacy and competency. Computer software tools and devices constantly evolve and expand, as well as the skills needed to use them.
COMP serves that need across the entire arc of digital life—whether your career is still in preparation (pre-career), in progress (workforce training), or in transition (changing careers or retirement).
Our mission is to develop “technology-savvy adults” who possess literacy and competency in software productivity applications and tools that are part and parcel of our everyday lives—in the office, in the home office and in personal living.
The COMP Department is designed to meet the needs of all students and working professionals with a desire to improve their computer skills. SBCC can design a personalized program of study to meet your needs for:
• An introductory course
• A workshop to update your skills
• An advanced skills class
• A Skills Competency Award
• A Certificate of Achievement
• Professional certification
• An Associate in Science Degree
You can take COMP courses in the way that best fits your lifestyle and schedule. Class formats include:
• Online/distance learning
• Self-paced lab instruction
• Short courses
• Credit for Work Experience
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|COMP 101||Introduction to Computer Applications||4|
|COMP 103||Internet Communications||1|
|COMP 107||Microsoft Word||4|
|COMP 109||Microsoft Excel||4|
|COMP 111||Microsoft Access||4|
|COMP 112||Microsoft Powerpoint||4|
|COMP 139||Social Networking for Business||0.5|
|COMP 144B||Google World||3|
|Complete two courses from the following:||4-7|
|Introduction to Accounting|
|Accounting With Quickbooks|
|Introduction To Business|
|Introduction to Multimedia|
|Web Design II: Integration|
|Introduction to Electronic Commerce|
- Use computer applications Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook and Google Docs proficiently in a business setting
- To successfully integrate computer programs in the MS Office Suite or Google Docs for maximum productivity as a power end user
- To use the Internet as a research tool
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.