Theatre Arts, Associate of Arts (AA): Design/Lighting and/or Costuming/Makeup
The Theater Arts Department offers a variety of programs of study and experience suited to the needs of the serious theater student as well as those who wish to include theater as a part of their liberal arts education. With curricula in Acting/Directing, Design/Lighting, Costuming and Technical Production, the program provides an intensive two-year course of study that prepares Theater Arts majors for transfer to a four-year college or university - ready to do advanced upper-division work. Students have the opportunity of working in all phases of production and performance, and are encouraged to take on increasing levels of responsibility.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|TA 103||Theatre Appreciation||3|
|TA 111||Beginning Acting||3|
|TA 120||Understanding Scenography||3|
|TA 121||Introduction to Stagecraft||3|
|TA 131||Costume Technology||3|
|TA 136||Theatrical Makeup Techniques||3|
|TA 151||Theatre Production I||0.5-2|
|or TA 152||Theatre Production II|
|or TA 153||Theatre Production III|
|or TA 154||Theatre Production IV|
|Area A - Complete a minimum of 1 unit from the following:||1-2|
|Theatrical Stage Carpentry Deck Crew|
|Stage Audio Technician Workshop|
|Theatre Production I|
|Theatre Production II|
|Theatre Production III|
|Theatre Production IV|
|Stage Costumer Workshop|
|Stage Make-up Workshop|
|Area B - Complete 6 units from the following - not including courses taken to satisfy requirements above:||6|
|Fundamentals Of Drawing|
|Contemporary Dramatic Literature|
|Development of Drama - Musical Theatre|
|Development Of Drama: Greek to Renaissance|
|Development Of Drama II: Restoration To Contemporary|
|Intermediate Acting A|
|Summer Theatre Workshop 1|
|Intermediate Acting B|
|Fundamentals of Directing|
A maximum of 3 units from TA 175 Summer Theatre Workshop may be applied toward AA Degree.
- Analyze a play text in terms of dramatic structure, production and performance.
- Demonstrate the proper application of theatre crafts’ terminology pertaining to production challenges.
- Demonstrate proficient use of theatre crafts’ tools and technology in the creation of theatrical productions.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.