Sociology, Associate in Arts (AA)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|ANTH 103||Introduction To Cultural Anthropology||3|
|SOC 101||Introduction To Sociology||3-4|
|or SOC 101H||Introduction to Sociology, Honors|
|SOC 104||Social Psychology||3|
|Select three courses from the following:||9|
|Marriage, Family and Intimacy|
|Sociology of Deviance|
|Sociology Of Sex and Gender|
|Introduction To Social Research|
|Media, Culture and Society|
|Introduction to Social Work|
- Explain the major theoretical perspectives in sociology and apply them to the analysis of social phenomena.
- Describe the key concepts associated with one or more substantive areas of the discipline, and apply them to an analysis of social phenomena.
- Analyze the role of social forces in shaping the individual.
- Explain how individuals create and sustain society through collective action.
- Define the role of social institutions in society.
- Explain how structures and processes of social inequality across such dimensions as class, race and gender influence the life experiences of individuals.
- Utilize a variety of research methods to collect data and to produce original written work, according to social scientific standards.
- Discuss the ethical standards that guide research in the social sciences.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.