History, Associate of Arts (AA)
History is the disciplined study of the human past. Santa Barbara City College offers a varied and integrated curriculum in history. The History Department provides the opportunity to pursue creative, critical and analytical historical thought in a rigorous manner. Central to the liberal arts, history supplies a solid foundation for business, legal studies and education, as well as graduate study.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A minimum of 12 units through SBCC.
|HIST 101||History of the U.S. to 1877||3|
|HIST 102||History of the U.S. Since 1865||3-4|
|or HIST 102H||History Of The U.S. Since 1865, Honors|
|HIST 103||History of Western Civilization||3|
|or HIST 107||World Civilization, Beginnings to 1550|
|HIST 104||History of Western Civilization||3-4|
|or HIST 113H||History Of Western Civilization: 1600 To Present, Honors|
|or HIST 108||World Civilization, 1550 to Present|
|Complete one course from the following (U.S. and Europe):||3-4|
|Comparative Asian-American History, 1849-1965|
|The African-American In U.S. History To World War II|
|Mexican-American (Chicano) History In The U.S.|
|The Immigrant Experience in the U.S.|
or ETHS 101H
|The Immigrant Experience in the U.S., Honors|
|History of American Women|
or HIST 110H
|History Of American Women (Honors)|
|The American West as Frontier and Region|
|American Environmental History|
|History Of Great Britain|
|History Of Great Britain|
|American Indian: Past and Present|
|Complete one course from the following (non-Western):||3|
|The Vietnam Wars|
|History Of Russia|
|History of Latin America|
|History Of Latin America: 1800'S To Modern Period|
|History of Mexico|
|History of Religions of The Middle East|
|History of the Modern Middle East|
- Incorporate evidence derived from primary and secondary sources to support a thesis.
- Evaluate historical evidence for bias and for relevance to major historical issues and controversies.
- Identify change over time, cross-cultural connections, and links between past and present.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.