Communication Studies, Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T)
The field of communication covers a wide range of topics. This major is designed to give students exposure to basic information in the discipline and provide the opportunity to focus on the areas that best suit their individual needs. Students should consult with a departmental adviser and/or counselor when choosing both controlled and general electives in order to develop a program of study that is best suited to their specific needs. For example, requirements for the baccalaureate degree in Communication or Speech Communication vary from one institution to another. It is, therefore, essential to become familiar with the requirements of the institution a student plans to attend.
The Associate in Arts degree in Communication Studies for Transfer provides students with the foundational knowledge in Communication Studies needed to make a successful transition into a Baccalaureate Degree in Communication Studies at any of the CSU campuses.
Complete 60 CSU-transferable units including general education, major requirements and CSU-transferable electives as follows:
Complete one of the following patterns:
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum "IGETC" for CSU (37 semester units)
- California State University General Education Breadth pattern (40 semester units)
Complete 18-24 units as outlined below with a “C” or better in each course. Pass/No Pass grading is not permitted in a course within a student’s major area of study. The courses completed for the major may also be used to fulfill General Education areas on the IGETC or the CSU GE Breadth.
|COMM 131||Fundamentals Of Public Speaking 1||3|
|or COMM 131H||Fundamentals Of Public Speaking, Honors|
|Electives List A|
|Select two courses from the following:||6|
|Interpersonal Communication 1|
or COMM 121H
|Interpersonal Communication, Honors|
|Small Group Communication 1|
|Argumentation And Debate 1|
|Electives List B|
|Select two courses from the following:||6-10|
Any course not taken in List A and/or
|Physical Anthropology 1|
or ANTH 101H
|Physical Anthropology, Honors|
|Introduction to Communication 1|
|Intercultural Communication 1|
|Mass Media And Society 1|
|Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology|
and Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology Laboratory 1
| Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology, Honors|
and Dynamic Earth - Physical Geology Laboratory
|History Of The Earth 1|
|Intermediate French I 1|
|Intermediate French II 1|
|American Film to 1960's 1|
|Intermediate German I 1|
|Intermediate German II 1|
|History Of Western Civilization 1|
|History Of Western Civilization 1|
or HIST 113H
|History Of Western Civilization: 1600 To Present, Honors|
|Public Relations 1|
or MKT 135
or PHOT 190
|Elementary Statistics 1|
or MATH 117H
|Elementary Statistics, Honors|
or PSY 150
|Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences|
|Media, Culture and Society 1|
|Intermediate Spanish I 1|
|Intermediate Spanish II 1|
|Electives List C|
|Select one course from the following:||3-5|
Any course not taken in List A or List B and/or the following
|Introduction To Cultural Anthropology 1|
|Leadership in a Global Society|
|Communication in Organizations 1|
|Communication Research Methods 1|
|Communication Theory 1|
|Critical Thinking And Composition Through Literature 1|
or ENG 111H
|Critical Thinking and Composition Through Literature, Honors|
|General Psychology 1|
or PSY 100H
|General Psychology, Honors|
|Introduction To Sociology 1|
or SOC 101H
|Introduction to Sociology, Honors|
|Complete as many units as needed to reach a total of 60 CSU-transferable units 3|
These courses fulfill an IGETC and/or CSU GE Breadth pattern requirement. Visit www.assist.org or http://articulation.sbcc.edu for a complete list of IGETC and CSU GE Breadth requirements.
CSU Transferable Electives
Complete as many units as needed reach a total of 60 CSU-transferable units (for a list of SBCC-transferable courses to CSU, visit www.assist.org).
Additional Graduation Requirements for AA-T in Communication Studies
- Maintain a cumulative CSU-transferable GPA of 2.0.
- Residency Requirements: Candidates for an Associate Degree are expected to complete 15 semester units in residence at SBCC. Candidates for an Associate Degree are also expected to complete at least 20% of the department major requirements in residence at SBCC.
The Associate Degree will be awarded upon completion of both department and college requirements. These include:
- Complete all department requirements with a “C” or better or “P” in each course. Candidates for an Associate Degree are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
- Complete a general education option (Option 1: SBCC General Education and Institutional and Information Competency; Option 2: IGETC; Option 3: CSU GE Breadth). General Education options allowed for each Associate Degree program vary. Refer to http://www.sbcc.edu/apply/degrees_certificates.php for a list of General Education options for each SBCC Associate Degree program;
- Other graduation requirements as outlined on the Graduation Requirements page.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and critically evaluate communication practices, messages and outcomes in various contexts (e.g., interpersonal, intercultural, small group, public and professional communication, and mass media).
- Develop a repertoire of strategies for improved communication effectiveness and demonstrate the strategies in oral, written and/or presentation contexts.
- Read, evaluate and report on communication research.
- Recognize and articulate the benefits and challenges of diverse communicative practices of people living in a global/multicultural society.
- Demonstrate understanding of the ethical dimensions of communication.