Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, Skills Competency Award (SCA)
Skills Competency Award Requirements
Complete the required course(s) with a grade of C or higher or Pass to earn this Skills Competency Award and to be eligible to take the National Registry EMT Exam. Passing the NREMT Exam is required to obtain EMT-B certification in any county in California. Candidates for a Skills Competency Award are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|EMT 110||Emergency Medical Technician-Basic||6|
- Perform one-rescuer and two-rescuer CPR on adult, child or infant (prerequisite to course).
- Perform primary and secondary medical assessment of acute illness or trauma in an emergency setting.
- Perform airway management and oxygen therapy.
- Control bleeding, dress and bandage soft tissue trauma with appropriate supplies.
- Simple extrication procedures.
- Safely immobilize, stabilize, and transport possible spinal injury victims.
- Splint and apply appropriate traction.
- Monitor for condition change after stabilization.
- Set up intravenous solutions.
- Verbalize knowledge of scope of practice, consent, and liabilities.
- Verbalize and perform infection control precautions.
- Perform and use the Automated External Defibrillator (AED).