Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, Skills Competency Award (SCA)
|EMT 110||Emergency Medical Technician-Basic||6|
Students must complete this course with a grade of “C” or higher or Pass to earn the Skills Competency Award and to be eligible to take the National Registry EMT Exam. Passing the NREMT Exam is required to obtain EMT-B certification in any county in California. EMT information: www.sbcc.edu/alliedhealth/courses/EMT.php
- Perform one-rescuer and two-rescuer CPR on adult, child or infant (prerequisite to course).
- Perform primary and secondary medical assessment of acute illness or trauma in an emergency setting.
- Perform airway management and oxygen therapy.
- Control bleeding, dress and bandage soft tissue trauma with appropriate supplies.
- Simple extrication procedures.
- Safely immobilize, stabilize, and transport possible spinal injury victims.
- Splint and apply appropriate traction.
- Monitor for condition change after stabilization.
- Set up intravenous solutions.
- Verbalize knowledge of scope of practice, consent, and liabilities.
- Verbalize and perform infection control precautions.
- Perform and use the Automated External Defibrillator (AED).