Post-Professional Practice in Alcohol and Drug Counseling, Certificate of Achievement (C)
Certificate of Achievement Requirements
Complete all Department Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement with a C or better in each course. Candidates for a Certificate of Achievement are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|ADC 120||Alcohol and Other Drugs 1||3|
|ADC 122||Pharmacological And Physiological Effects Of Alcohol And Other Drugs 1||3|
|ADC 124||Chemical Dependency and the Family 1||3|
|ADC 125||Co-Occurring Disorders I: Recognition and Referral 1||3|
|ADC 126||Treatment And Case Management Of Chemically-Dependent Individual 1||4|
Acceptable substitutions are as follows: ADC 100 will substitute for ADC 120 Alcohol and Other Drugs; ADC 102 will substitute for ADC 122 Pharmacological And Physiological Effects Of Alcohol And Other Drugs; ADC 108 will substitute for ADC 124 Chemical Dependency and the Family; ADC 112 will substitute for ADC 125 Co-Occurring Disorders I: Recognition and Referral; and ADC 105 and ADC 106 or ADC 106 and ADC 116 will substitute for ADC 126 Treatment And Case Management Of Chemically-Dependent Individual.
- Develop an appropriate case history.
- Assess and diagnose both the existence and degree of dependence on alcohol and other drugs.
- Define the scope, responsibility and limitations of the Alcohol and Drug Counselor.
- Formulate a comprehensive treatment plan based on client need, incorporating adjunctive support systems with primary treatment programs.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Describe what constitutes an effective intervention.
- Describe the dynamics and common roles in the family of the chemically dependent person.
- Describe how to utilize community support systems, Alanon, Alateen, ACA, etc., to support family members through the recovery process.
- Apply therapeutic interventions with traditional and non-traditional family structures.
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.