Culinary Arts, Associate in Science (AS)
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
Complete all of the following:
- All Department Requirements listed below with a “C” or better or “P” in each course (at least 20% of the department requirements must be completed through SBCC).
- One of the following three General Education options:
- A total of 60 degree-applicable units (SBCC courses numbered 100 and higher).
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all units attempted at SBCC.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in all college units attempted.
- A total of 15 units through SBCC.
|COMP 101||Introduction to Computer Applications||2-4|
|or COMP 103|
& COMP 123
| Internet Communications|
and Introduction To Microsoft Word
|CA 111||Hospitality Controls||2|
|CA 113||Hospitality Sanitation And Safety||2|
|CA 115A||Catering Prep||0.5|
|CA 115B||Catering Service||0.5|
|CA 115C||Catering Kitchen||0.5|
|CA 115D||Catering Organization||0.5|
|CA 116||Introduction To The Food Service Profession||2|
|CA 117||Culinary Fundamentals I||2|
|CA 121||Principles Of Pantry||2|
|CA 124||Principles Of Baking||2|
|CA 129||Purchasing And Receiving||2|
|CA 134||Hospitality Supervision||2|
|CA 200||Food Service Practicum||2|
|CA 203||Restaurant Service And Production||8|
|CA 204||Advanced Restaurant And Culinary||4|
|CA 215||Modern Food: Style, Design, Theory And Production||2|
|CA 217||Culinary Fundamentals II||2|
|CA 224||Pastry Practicum||2|
|CA 230||Food Service: Nutrition||2|
|CA 261||Restaurant Ownership||2|
|CA 290||Work Experience For Culinary Arts Students||3|
|Select two courses from the following:||4|
|Advanced Artisan Baking|
|Advanced Pastry Arts|
- The students will be able to apply the concepts and techniques of sanitation to a food service environment.
- The students will be able to demonstrate to use of proper purchasing, storage and costing techniques to profitably operate a food service establishment.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a professional bakery.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a professional kitchen as a line and pantry cook.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a variety of dining room environments as a bus-person, waiter, table captain and sommelier.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to serve a variety of beverages in a food service establishment.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the relation of food to health and well being.
- The students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the knowledge needed to be a supervisor in a food service establishment
Make an appointment with your SBCC academic counselor through Starfish to create a Student Education Plan that reflects a recommended course sequence for this program that is tailored to your individual needs.