Culinary Arts, Associate in Science (AS)
|Select one from the following:||2-4|
|Introduction to Computer Applications|
and Introduction To Microsoft Word
|CA 113||Hospitality Sanitation And Safety||2|
|CA 115A||Catering Prep||0.5|
|CA 116||Introduction To The Food Service Profession||2|
|CA 117||Culinary Fundamentals I||2|
|CA 121||Principles Of Pantry||2|
|CA 124||Principles Of Baking||2|
|CA 111||Hospitality Controls||2|
|CA 115B||Catering Service||0.5|
|CA 129||Purchasing And Receiving||2|
|CA 200||Food Service Practicum||2|
|CA 217||Culinary Fundamentals II||2|
|CA 224||Pastry Practicum||2|
|CA 115C||Catering Kitchen||0.5|
|CA 134||Hospitality Supervision||2|
|CA 203||Restaurant Service And Production||8|
|CA 230||Food Service: Nutrition||2|
|CA 115D||Catering Organization||0.5|
|CA 204||Advanced Restaurant And Culinary||4|
|CA 215||Modern Food: Style, Design, Theory And Production||2|
|CA 261||Restaurant Ownership||2|
|Select two of the following:||4|
|Advanced Artisan Baking|
|Advanced Pastry Arts|
Note: All Restaurant/Culinary students must complete 3 units of CA 290 Work Experience For Culinary Arts Students, prior to receiving an SCAHM degree or certificate.
Transfer students should see a counselor to determine specific business and GE courses in which to enroll.
Certificate of Achievement Requirements: Students must complete all department requirements for the certificate with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. Candidates for a Certificate of Achievement are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
The Associate Degree will be awarded upon completion of both department and college requirements. These include:
- Complete all department requirements with a “C” or better or “P” in each course. Candidates for an Associate Degree are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
- Complete a general education option (Option 1: SBCC General Education and Institutional and Information Competency; Option 2: IGETC; Option 3: CSU GE Breadth). General Education options allowed for each Associate Degree program vary. Refer to http://www.sbcc.edu/apply/degrees_certificates.php for a list of General Education options for each SBCC Associate Degree program;
- Other graduation requirements as outlined on the Graduation Requirements page.
- The students will be able to apply the concepts and techniques of sanitation to a food service environment.
- The students will be able to demonstrate to use of proper purchasing, storage and costing techniques to profitably operate a food service establishment.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a professional bakery.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a professional kitchen as a line and pantry cook.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a variety of dining room environments as a bus-person, waiter, table captain and sommelier.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to serve a variety of beverages in a food service establishment.
- The students will be able to demonstrate the relation of food to health and well being.
- The students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the knowledge needed to be a supervisor in a food service establishment