Bookkeeping, Skills Competency Award (SCA)
Accounting courses provide the essential foundation needed to succeed in these career areas:
- Management: general management, financial management, budget management, assets management, controller, treasurer
- Private Accounting: general financial accounting, accounting information systems design, cost accounting, budgeting, taxation, internal auditing, data processing
- Public Accounting — CPAs: auditing, tax compliance and tax planning services, management advisory services, computerized accounting systems
- Government Accounting
- Accounting Education: teaching, research, consulting
Skills Competency Award Requirements
Complete all department requirements with a “C” or higher or "P" in each course. Candidates for a Skills Competency Award are required to complete at least 20% of the department requirements through SBCC.
|ACCT 110||Introduction to Accounting||4|
|BUS 103||Business Mathematics||3|
|COMP 151AB||Beginning Computer Keyboarding||3|
|COMP 171||Business English||3|
- Journalize basic business transactions for a sole proprietorship.
- Complete the closing process for a sole proprietorship at the end of an accounting period.
- Prepare the financial statements for a sole proprietorship including the income statement, statement of owner’s equity, and balance sheet.
- Prepare a bank reconciliation.
- Use a computer spreadsheet program for simple accounting applications.
- Demonstrate English fundamentals such as grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, and word usage.
- Demonstrate correct computer keyboarding techniques using word processing programs.
- Use proper arithmetic techniques to solve business accounting problems.